We all agree there is nothing quite like the salty air and the winds to set your spirit high. When you are in the water, your day will go by quickly. But staying out in the open from daybreak to dusk can mean havoc to your skin. If you are a sailor and want to keep your skin healthy, then here are some of the best-kept skincare secrets for you.
Here is what you must do before you head out:
- Moisturize: The sun, the dry wind, and the salty water all tend to dry your skin. You must make sure to moisturize your skin well. Carry extra moisturizes so that you can keep hydrating throughout the day. Moisturize the face and the neck. Go in for the creamy moisturizer instead of aqua-based one.
- Sunscreen: When you are out in open water, you are exposed to two times the amount of UV radiation. This is because the rays from the sun reflect off the water and hit you again. Venturing into the water without applying sunscreen can be fatal in the long run. Wear a generous amount of sunscreen and carry the tube to apply it every few hours at sea. Cover all the exposed parts, including the neck, the back, and the feet.
- Moderate drinking habits as alcohol tends to further dehydrate your skin.
- Wear hats with wide brims that cover your ears and back of the neck
- Wear full shirts whenever possible to reduce skin exposure.
Once you are back from the sea:
– Clean your face using a face wash and mildly warm water.
– Make sure the water is not hot because that will dry your skin or, worse, scald it
– Massage the face wash gently to clean away all the accumulated dirt and sweat in the pores.
– Rinse thoroughly
– Pat dry with a soft towel
– Use hydrating cream or cold cream to apply on delicate skin like under the eyes.
Protip for men’s skincare:
Did you know that acne is most often the result of not washing your face just before bedtime?
Pollution sticks and causes the bacteria to clog the pores causing breakouts on the face. Cleaning away the pores with a gentle face wash massage will clear it from all the day’s grime and keep it glowing all the time.
Use products that are made for men:
Men have different skin textures from women. And that is precisely why the best skincare for men is to use products specially made for men. This is because they work best by catering to their skincare needs.
Washing your face first thing after waking up:
Men have 4X more sebaceous glands than womenfolk. Sebum is created even at night. Too much sebum can cause stickiness on the skin attracting more dirt and grime. This is why washing your face at the beginning of the day is as important as washing before retiring for the day. Do not use soap for your skin. Instead, choose from delicate facial skin washes that will maintain the ideal pH level of your skin.
Exfoliating skin will remove the dirt that is stuck inside the pores. It also repairs flaky skin. Exfoliation is an easy job. Use a scrub, brush, or cloth and gently rub it on your skin to remove dirt from it. Use gentle circular motions. This will also improve blood circulation. Regular exfoliation will make your skin soft and smooth.
Exfoliation is best done two times a week. Overdoing it will make your skin bruised. Don’t forget to moisturize. Use a moisturizer even if the skin is oily. Choose a water-based and fast-absorbing moisturizer if you feel it to be very heavy on your skin.
Finally, drink a lot of water and sleep well:
The best therapy for great skin is to drink lots of water and rest well. Drink a minimum of 10 glasses in a day to flush out unwanted toxins from your system. The skin repairs itself during sleep. It produces more cells and improves blood flow. A great night’s sleep will ensure that you wake up glowing. Healthy and good-looking skin requires diligence and discipline.